SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Birding at Brush Hollow on 11-24-05


This Thanksgiving Day was quite pleasant so I went out to Brush Hollow this afternoon and found that the prob 1st winter Surf Scoter is still there. As I have often seen it, it floated alone in the middle of the Reservoir. After I was there awhile, I saw it diving near the the Common Goldeneyes who were also diving. The some fishermen came and it flew to the dam end.

There were 3 Common Goldeneye, and I saw them diving extensively in several different parts of the Reservoir. There were also some American Wigeon, Green-winged Teal, a few Mallards and some white-headed gulls too far for me to id. I hiked to the east of the dam into pinyon-juniper habitat and found 2 Townsend's Solitairs singing and chasing each other in a large cottonwood tree. I enjoy listening to the very melodic song of this species.

My visit ended with the pleasant sunset in this photo.
SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory