SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Friday, December 09, 2005


While in Pueblo on business yesterday I stopped at Pueblo City Park to look for the Palm Warbler that Mark Y. told me he found last week-end. This is quite a find here, especially in winter. I did not find this bird, nor the Yellow-rumped Warblers that Mark also saw here. Since the temps dipped to -15 last night, they may have moved to a more sheltered area or succumbed to the perils of Colorado weather. I did see the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, whose sap wells do attrack a variety of song birds such as the warblers. Today there was a Ruby-crowned Kinglet working the tall pine trees here. The male Downy Woodpecker in the photo worked hard at one spot on a tree while I took it's picture.

While I was watching the birds, a terribly tame squirrel approached within 3 feet of me. It sat up with its paws out in front looking like a dog sitting up, obviously having learned that this was effective in begging food. Fortunately I had no food as it would have been difficult to not give in to this cute critter even though I think its a bad idea to feed them.

I also stopped at Runyon Lake. Though most of it was frozen over, there were over a dozen Buffleheads, several Redheads, a female Lesser Scaup in addition to common waterfowl and a few gulls. A red fox worked at trying to approach these birds, but kept turning back. Since it was limping a little, it may be desparate to find food.
SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory