SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Lamar, Colorado




Greetings from Lamar,

Birding has been slow in Lamar, with the high winds and dry, warm weather, most birding areas seem rather quiet.

Yesterday, February 2, 2006, I found a dead Inca Dove near my feeders. My guess is the immature Sharp-shinned Hawk that frequently visits the feeders (there is also a beautiful adult Cooper's surveying the area) flew in causing the birds to scatter. This particular bird had a broken neck, so it is possibly a window kill, although there were no marks on any of the windows near the feeders or perhaps I scared the SSHA and it dropped it's prey. Earlier in the morning while putting out the mail, the SSHA flew past me toward the feeders--about two hours later, I heard an INDO calling, "No hope, no hope", which lasted most of the afternoon. Would I be out of line to assume this was a mate to the deceased? A DOW person will take the specimen to the Denver Museum for me--I would venture to say, this is probably one of the first INDO specimens in the state of Colorado.

A birding friend of mine and I went to Lamar Community College a couple of days ago and saw the Carolina Wrens and the Red-bellied Woodpeckers among the more common species. Happily, I saw the Northern Magpie at the Woods. After the WNV outbreak, our population of NOMA dropped considerably and I missed seeing the 3 pairs that lived at LCC.

I continue to have Yellow-rumped Warblers coming to my water bath as well as a beautiful Gray Catbird. A few days ago, I had my first Audubon species of Yellow-rumped as my other five visitors are all Myrtles. The Red-breasted Nuthatches feeder regularly and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet visits my suet and my peanut butter feeders. My old faithfuls, House Finch, American Goldfinch, Inca Doves, Pine Siskin, Eurasian-collared Doves, Blue Jays and an ocassional Red-winged Blackbird visit the feeders regularly.

Let's hope rain arrives soon. The prairie is looking oh so very bleak.

Janeal

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory