SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Long-billed Curlews in Fremont Co.

As I started a walk at dusk tonight, I heard a call that seemed out of place. Before I could think what made the call, I spotted 2 Long-billed Curlews (making cur-loo call)flying towards the west. They were flying only 75 feet or so off the ground which makes me wonder if they had just taken off from a field nearby. As they flew, they passed me only 15-200 feet away so I had very good looks with my binoculars.

Long-billed Curlews are associated with prairies, something that is in short supply in Fremont Co. There have been records of them nesting on the western slope so these could have been migrating to there. Or, given the really bad winds yesterday, maybe they were just off course.

It's late so tomorrow I will post other birds I saw today with some pics.
SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory