SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Friday, July 21, 2006

Snowy Plover babies and more

I drove down to Lamar today for some recreational birding and stopped at Lake Cheraw. I saw 4 Snowy Plovers including one that was just sitting still. Since I am accustomed to watching Snowy Plovers quickly scurrying about as though they had a lot to get done and not enough time to do it all, it surprised me to see this bird not moving. And it looked a little odd in my spotting scope, too fluffed up or something.

So as I scoped the shoreline I kept coming back to see if this little plover was still there. After a little while I saw it stand up and out ran 2 baby plovers that the parent had apparently been shading these juveniles from the sun with its body. I guess it had cooled enough and the parent let the kids go--and go these tiny babies did! They scurried quickly around the shore just like the adult birds do. They were so small they looked no larger than fuzzy golf balls with tiny fast moving legs. They were so cute they made my day. Unfortunately they were too distant, and too small, to get photos.

Other shorebirds at Lake Cheraw (located north of La Junta on SH109) were:
Semipalmated Plover
Semipalmated Sandpipers
Baird's Sandpipers
Spotted Sandpipers
American Avocet
Wilson's Phalarope

I had a delightful dinner at good restaurant in Las Animas (Carmen's Steaks & Mexican Cuisine, 625 Carson, 1 block west of the Dairy Queen). Carmen's was smoke-free before Colorado law required it. They have both mexican and American food, and sometimes have entertainment. They also have a patio --while I ate dinner I was entertained by a flock of 10+ Chimney Swifts twittering above the area.

At dusk I watched a Great Horned Owl being mobbed by several Northern Mockingbirds. As I drove down a gravel road several Burrowing Owls flew up, apparently flushed by my car. A very satisfying birding day.
SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory