SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Canon City birding

American Dippers have been quite active in the Canon City area in the past few days. I watched a pair chase each other up and down the Arkansas River adjacent to the Canon City Riverwalk yesterday. This chasing was accompanied by some singing. I don't know whether this chasing is agonistic such as a territorial dispute or what. Singing is uncommon in mid-winter according to Birds of North America but I also heard singing from a dipper that is located further down river. Since Colorado Breeding Bird Atlasshows that nest building has been observed as early as the end of February, maybe they are beginning to attract mates with their singing.

I found a Swamp Sparrow at the east end of the Canon City Riverwalk 2 days ago. This is the first one of this species I have seen this year. I continue to see/hear a Marsh Wren east of Canon City along a waterway. And yesterday I drove by the area where the Greater White-fronted Geese are often found. I only saw 4 but they were bedded down so I may have missed the 5th bird that has been present here since late fall.

SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory