SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Just east of Canon City

I enjoyed listening to two American Dippers singing during my fitness walking just east of Canon City yesterday and today. A Marsh Wren scolded me briefly yesterday.

There is still a female Common Merganser in the canal that has been there for some weeks. I always turn around before the end of the road in order to avoid flushing her as her presence in this location makes me wonder if she is injured. Today I apparently walked past her as I encountered her on my return trip. She must have been resting along the edge of the canal as I would have seen her if she had been swimming as she usually does. I could not avoid walking past her as it was my only way back so I walked as far to the opposite edge of the road as I could and covered my eyes in hopes she would be less threatened. Even so, I was only 25-30 feet from her as I walked by but she did not flush. This is very unusual in my experience as I have found Common Mergansers intolerant of close human presence.

I believe that all creatures deserve consideration, which is just an extension of the Golden Rule.
SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory