SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Trinidad State Park

I did go birding at the lake at Trinidad State Park on 2-16 but I haven't had internet access to post since I have been traveling. An arctic cold front had gone through overnight and temps were much colder. I was sorely disappointed with Trinidad Lake which has been quite birdy during other visits I have made there in the winter. In fact, I think it was last year that I saw both a Pacific and as well as several Common Loons plus a Ladder-backed Woodpecker in some small trees on the shorline.

I don't why, maybe some combination of the high winds they have had the day I was there and the day before that and other weather reasons, but not only were there no loons at all but few waterfowl period. There was a small flock of Pintail Ducks, some Redheads, Northern Shovelers, Common Goldeneye and a few dark-headed Geese. Due to high winds, I didn't see any landbirds (and I don't believe in pishing for birds in such conditions as it puts them at risk).

And to make matters worse there was a dog on the road that goes over the dam and gets a lot of traffic from people who have homes outside of town that use it as a short cut. Sadly the dog was very afraid and I couldn't lure it to me. I called the county sheriff and they said they couldn't do anything as they don't have a leash law nor do they have any place to shelter animals (this is absurd given all the expensive homes that have gone up in the county in the past 5-10 years they should be able to raise the money). I contacted the State Park and the ranger did get the dog to go off the dam roadl. He thought the dog had been dumped. Said he would put out a trap if the dog stays around but didn't answer when I asked where they could put it since they don't have a shelter (it took me a while but later realized they will likely shoot it). Very unsatisfying.

I also found thousands of waterfowl, several Bald Eagles, two Golden Eagles and 14 Tundra Swans (!!) less than 50 miles south of Trinidad at Maxwell National Wildlife Refuge in New Mexico. As the arctic cold front that brought all the winds plus cold temps down to Trinidad had not made it over the mountain to Maxwell so it was a balmy 55 degrees-maybe the birds liked the weather here better.
SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory