SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Nesting Golden Eagle


Today I verified the identification of a Golden Eagle that is nesting in Fremont County I do not believe in posting locations of nesting raptors as they are so vulnerable during nesting, both for nest failure and for being the target of sick individuals. Birds of North America states that more than 70% of these birds are caused either directly or indirectly (such as collisions with power lines and other structures) by humans. I watched the bird with my spotting scope from atleast 500 feet distance. Though the photo is enlarged and was taken at about 10 power, it does not show great detail. The dark brown of the feathers is apparent as are the tawny feathers on the median upperwinge coverts (across the back). Barely visible are the golden feathers on the rear crown, nape, and sides of neck.

Golden Eagles usually nest on cliffs. Their nests are very large, four to six feet in diameter and several feet in height such as the nest in this photo. They usually return to the same nest year after year, adding new material each year which accounts for the large size of older nests.

The eagle did not appear to be attending to a nestling or making moves such as to turn eggs so I would think this is early in the nesting cycle. Though I was at a good distance from the bird, it seemed to be watchful of me when I got out of my car so I tried to stay inside and use my car as a blind so as not to disturb the bird. Golden Eagles are declining in the West.

SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory