SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

More Bobolinks and Dickcissels

Though slowed some by a twisted knee (just had to do more car birding, which fits well with Bobolink and Dickcissels), I found more Bobolinks and Dickcissels after checking more yesterday and today around the farm on which I found them. It takes time to do this because it is challenging to get an accurate count since their songs can be heard for a distance (and sometimes seem to be coming from locations different from where they are) and because both of these species travel (by hopping, maybe walking)through and under the vegetation in the hay fields (so after going down in one spot, it can emerge a distance away as and mistaken as a second bird). I try to count as separate birds only those that I see "up" at the same time or that I find a sufficient distance away (and in a quick enough time frame to reduce the chance they flew to the next location).

I believe there are at least 4 (may be 5) male Bobolink and 4 (may be 5 also) male Dickcissels on the private farm I found them on and a neighboring farm. I have also seen at least 2 female Bobolink, but there are likely more as I rarely see the less obvious sex of this species. I have only seen 1 female Dickcissel and they are also difficult to see (females of both sex are likely sitting on nests in the fields, do not sing and are not as brightly colored as males).

SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory