SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Canon City area

This morning I birded the west section of the Canon City Riverwalk as I found out that two rare warblers were being seen, a Northern Parula in addition to the Hooded Warbler. I made a big mistake in not putting insect repellant on--the mosquitos were ravenous. It was very difficult to attend to birding when a mob of mosquitos are in my face.

I heard the Northern Parula singing but could not locate the bird visually. After searching unsuccessfully to see this bird, I didn't have the motivation to try for the Hooded as the mosquitos were having their way with me. I saw a Cooper's Hawk fly through (that stopped the frequent singing by the Northern Parula for awhile). In addition to the Broad-tailed Hummingbirds that buzzed around, I spotted a female Black-chinned Hummingbird sitting on a small branch. Lazuli and Indigo Bunting sang up and down the trail. A few Blue Grosbeaks were also there. I didn't refind the pair of Eastern Phoebes seen with Clif and Pearle last week.

Though almost all the grass fields have been mowed, I found at least 9 and maybe 12 Dickcissels still singing. In fact, I found one in a grass field that was mowed several weeks ago and now has a maturing stand of grass. This is inexplicable as this species is not supposed to have a second nesting as they need to be ready to migrate in August.

SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory