SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Sunday, July 23, 2006

More far SE Colo birds

Today I was surprised to find 2 adult Golden Eagles perched on power poles only a 100 or so feet apart, presumably a mated pair. However, I am concerned because they were only about 4 miles from a large windfarm south of Lamar. Though the windmills at this windfarm are reported to be engineered to be less of a threat to raptors, there have been eagle fatalities in some locations.

Though I hadn't seen any Lark Buntings in the area in the last 2 days, I saw several small flocks totally maybe 80-90 birds. Possibly they are beginning their migration.

At Carrizo Canyon, which is not far from Cottonwood Canyon, I saw 2 Eastern Phoebes. This is another beautiful canyon with several ponds along the creek, both a lot of water due apparently to recent storms. Usually I like to stand on the cliffs overlooking the ponds, but I saw that a very large chunk (more than 25 feet in width)of the cliff area had broken off and fallen into the water--too scary for me to get out on that cliff again.

Then at dusk I found 22 Burrowing Owls in 1 hour!! This was a very unusual number and circumstance. As I drove some county roads south of Lamar, these owls would fly up from the side of the road. In fact, I found 6 or 7 perched righr in the middle of the road. What was more surprising is that some of these were between cultivated fields where they would not be nesting. And these are not areas where they are usually found foraging. However, that is just what they were doing. And I imagine that is why I saw several Burrowing Owls flying up from the roadside last night and the night before.


SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory