SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Lower SE Colo birding plus reptiles & amphibians

I am down in lower SE Colorado on a recreational birding trip. I came down to take advantage of a cool spell, unusual in August. Yesterday the temps were in the 70's with a drizzle off and on. Today it wss mostly cloudy with temps in the low 80's--still very comfortable.

Birding has been very good with migrating hawks today including a "kettle" of 30-35 Swainson Hawks.

I have also stopped to assist some reptiles and amphibians. Yesterday I saw an ornate box turtle in the middle of a gravel road. Though not a lot of traffic here, there were cars coming and this turtle was in a vulnerable position. So I stopped my car and backed up to assist it in getting across the road (by walking close to it to encourage it to keep moving in the direction in which it was moving).

Today I found two different toads (haven't had a chance to look it up yet) near my tire when I got out of my car. I did the same with it--walked close enough to get each of them to move until I got them to some vegetation away in a safe location.

Each of these efforts only took a few minutes of my time plus I got to enjoy, and photograph, each of these critters. Many reptiles and amphibians are run over by motorized vehicles and bicycles, contributing to conservation issues. I try whenever I can to assist these critters. I even try to get snakes off of trails and roads, though with a stick (for garter snakes-yeah, I'm scared of all snakes) or by throwing rocks at larger and poisonous snakes (it is important to be careful with rattle snakes as they can strike the length of their bodies).

I will post on my birding tomorrow.

SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory