SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Canon City Riverwalk Western Tanager


I birded the western section of the Canon City Riverwalk this morning. I had been informed that the Hooded Warblers were still there including 2 likely offspring. Also there had been a singing Carolina Wren. I found none of these though I braved a horrible mosquito infestation (though these obnoxious insects certainly good bird food). In fact, I had to turn back and put on insect repellant Picaridin (the mosquitos seemed to like it, I swear they sat on my arms licking it off).

I also put a mosquito net over my head. Though these can be quite effective, you have to keep the neeting from contacting your skin as mosquitos can then bite you thru the netting--so I had to keep adjusting the netting. The netting doesn't restrict vision much, but sometimes that small restriction is just the little bit you needed to identify a bird. But better these inconveniences than all the mosquitos.

I did watch this female Western Tanager flying around and foraging. These birds are real "skulkers" (birds that move about stealthy manner, presenting great challenges to see and photograph them), staying usually in dense foliage. Some female Western Tanagers are duller and others brighter--this one is fairly bright as indicated by the considerable yellow on the head and rump. Note the olive-gray mantle on this bird. This and the whitish wing bars distinguish it from the other tanagers.

I will post more on the Riverwalk on separate posts.

SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory