SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Canon City area birding has heated up

Boy, birding yesterday in the Canon City area was hot. My friend, Mark, came down and found vireo's of 3 species (Red-eyed, Warbling and the rare Philadelphia), a rare Blackburnian Warbler and a Green Heron at the Florence River Park. Though he called to notify me, by the time I got there it was raining pretty hard. I did see an adult Green Heron, a White-breasted Nuthatch, Black-capped Chickadees, a number of Western Tanagers and a bunch of Western Wood-Pewees (including an adult still feeding a late juvenile).

Mark called me again later to tell me he had a Magnolia Warbler at the Canon City Riverwalk. I drove down as quick as I could, considering I had been trying all day to get on the road for a 5 hour trip to Ft Collins. Mark kept tabs on the mixed flock that this very rare Magnolia Warbler was in. After we strained our heads looking straight up, Mark finally refound the bird and I was able to see it. Also in this mixed flock was a Black-and-White Warbler (also rare here).

After this I took off for Ft Collins where I attended our state Audubon board meeting today, then returned home this evening with no time to bird. Can't wait until tomorrow.
SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory