SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Sunday, May 06, 2007

White-faced Ibis & more upper Arkansas River birds



After I left Ice Lake I found these ibis in a flock of about a hundred White-faced Ibis in a flooded field just outside of Buena Vista. The body feather colors of these birds is amazing especially considering that they can look just like black colored birds to those without binoculars.

I next stopped at Franz Lake in Salida where there were 2 pair of Common Mergansers. As this is time for them to start breeding, I wonder if they will do so in this area. Next to Franz Lake is overflow pond on which I saw a male Wood Duck, an unusual bird up this way, 2 pair of Cinnamon Teal and some Great-tailed Grackles. Nearby Sand Lake, which can be quite productive, had only a few common waterfowl and the ever-present Great-tailed Grackles.

My last stop was a site in W. Fremont County where Black Phoebes have nested for the past several years. I did find one Black Phoebe but the weather was turning bad so I didn't stay to search for a partner. By the time I got back to Canon City it was raining hard and turning dark, and now it is snowing big, wet flakes of snow.
SeEtta

Labels: , , ,

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory