SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Broad-winged Hawk in Canon City



Though no longer terribly rare, Broad-winged Hawk sightings are pretty unusual Colorado. Yesterday I saw the one in these pics along the Canon City Riverwalk. I haven't seen a lot of Broad-winged Hawks but I believe this is a first year bird. However, I cannot tell if it has attained Basic I plumage or if it's still in the transition from juvenal plumage. So I am posting both pics hoping that someone more familiar with the plumage phases for this species will clarify as I would like to learn more. SeEtta

Labels:

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory