SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Owl photo comparison

I have been asked to give some info on how I took the photos and with what equipment. I shoot in jpeg format. I used a Canon xti 10 megapixel digital SLR camera with a 70-300mm zoom lens and a 1.4 lens extender for a 420 mm equivalent. I hand-held the camera for all shots. I took the photos at dusk, with light fading but did not use a spot light (on a few pics, the flash on my camera automatically engaged but was not very effective due to distance from owl). I did have a spot light with me but I haven't used one on any owls for over 3 years as I try to view and photograph with as little disturbance as possible especially during breeding season (when I hear and see most owls). I certainly could have improved my photos had I used my spot light but I am satisfied with the photos I got. The owls were about 100 feet away. I enlarged all the photos and I also lightened them with Adobe Photoshop Elements software as the originals were dark due to it being dusk.

This photo is the same photo as the top photo in the post below but before I enlarged and lightened it. Double-click to enlarge and see how details become clearer. Fortunately the 10 megapixel camera, and a steady hand, allows significant enlargement while maintaining quality. I would rather do this type of editing than risk disturbing breeding owls by putting a spotlight on them to get better original photos. SeEtta

Labels:

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory