SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Friday, March 10, 2006

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker still in Canon City


Yesterday I re-found the male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in this photo at Centennial Park in Canon City. I then went to Lakeside Cemetery to see if any sapsuckers were still at that location where I have seen them this year (as well as the past several winters). However, there was a funeral in progress in the area where I have found most sapsuckers. A search of locations far enough away from the funeral produced a lot of recent sapwells but no birds.

There were some Pine Siskin in the cemetery. Though usually a common seen and abundant species in winter, there have been few around this year. Presumably this is due to the very mild weather which has not provided any impetus for these birds to migrate to lower altitudes as usual.

Yesterday I also saw a shrike a few miles northeast of Canon City but it flew off when I turned my car around to identify the species. It was near where I saw a Northern Shrike earlier this winter and is possibly the same bird as I don't see many shrikes in Fremont County.

And today I saw my first Cinnamon Teal of the year. A male, it was decked out in fresh, brillian plumage.
SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory