SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Friday, June 09, 2006

Dickcissel in Pueblo County

Today I was in eastern Pueblo County so I checked some of the hay fields there. I found 4 singing Dickcissel in 3 locations in the Avondale/Vineland area east of Pueblo. I found these in alfalfa fields (whereas the Dickcissel and Bobolink in Canon City area are in mixed grass/with some alfalfa). Since most of the hay fields had already been mowed, and I only checked a small area, it is quite possible that there were a much larger number of Dickcissel in that area this year. I did not find any Bobolink.

I did see 2 Northern Mockingbirds in an irrigated agricultural area. I also saw 1 Ferruginous Hawk, 1 Lewis' Woodpecker (should be many more around there), 1 Burrowing Owl, 1 Great Horned Owl and 1 male Ring-necked Pheasant.

SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory