SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Friday, August 04, 2006

Pronghorn (they really aren't antelope)



Though often erroneously referred to as antelope, the beauties in this photo are actually pronghorn. In fact, they have no relatives. And pronghorn are endemic to North America where they live in grassland and semi-desert shrub-steppe environments. Read more about them here.

Since many birders and others who enjoy birds enjoy seeing other wildlife such as pronghorn I wanted to include some of these other enjoyable wildlife species. And I was fortunate today while birding south of La Junta to encounter a small group of about 6 pronghorn. I was walking down a gravel road and they were watching me from a distance. I stopped to look at some birds in the opposite direction and when I turned around I found that the pronghorn had moved in closer. They appeared to be checking me out so I accomodate them by turning my back on them again (and being careful to move slowly so as not to startle them). They finally came to within 175 feet, pretty close for this usually quite shy species.

See more photos these pronghorn by clicking here.

SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory