SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Riverwalk deer


As I posted last week, while I stood motionless trying to find a bird in the vegetation a White-tailed doe and her fawn approached. I think this is one of the side benefits of being a birder--you get to see lots of other wildlife and, as in this case, using techniques (such as standing quietly, masking your profile with vegetation)for good birding also increase the likelihood of better observation of other species.

Again, I use a 12X digital camera which is the equivalent of about 400 mm in a 35 mm camera. And I enlarged the photo. Though these deer came close, they were still about 25-30 feet away when I took this shot and the other photos. Though they did look directly at me, I did not frighten them even when I walked off as I did so slowly and quietly.

I think the most important hint is that it is better to let birds and other wildlife approach you whenever possible rather than you pursuing them which is more likely to disturb them.
SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory