SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Yellow-throated Warbler in Lamar Fairmont Cemetery




I birded the Fairmont Cemetery in mid-morning and found the male Yellow-throated Warbler that was reported yesterday by norhern Colo birder, Dave, singing it's little heart out. He sang the distinctive song of this species loud and repetively. Unfortunately, as this species is known to do, it sang from high in the canopy of the evergreens here that are about 70-80 feet tall. It was a very frustrating experience for me as I could follow the song, but not see the bird. Fortunately it finally flew into a less-tall-pine tree where another birder, Duane, spotted it and pointed it out to me.

I watched this bright warbler continue to flit about fairly rapidly as it foraged. I got these photos when it wss about 25-30 feet above the ground. They are best viewed by double-clicking them to enlarge them. This warbler is known to use its' long beak to probe into pine cones and I watched it do that a few times. Though it is also suppsed to probe the bark like a Black& White Warbler, I did not see that behavior today.

Labels: ,

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory