SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

More visits to the Pinyon Jay flock


Today I visited the Pinyon Jay flock in late afternoon and at dusk. I found them in the same location as last night. Again, I was successful in locating them without flushing the flock but I didn't see any of the birds, just heard their calls.

I guess I am surprised that they seem to spend so much time just sitting quietly; however, since I haven't been flushing them I don't know if the entire flock is in this location or just the fledglings and the guard birds.

I got this photo of the first fledgling I saw 2 days ago but hadn't posted it since it was only of the rear section of the bird. However it does show the rounded tips of the rectrices (tail feathers)noted in Birds of North American online (BNA). The photo shows the tail feathers as blue above also as noted in BNA but the flight feathers appear bluish in the photo though they are supposed to be more gray. This may be a photography issue as lighting and color around an object can make it appear different.
SeEtta

Labels: ,

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory