SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Photo of Virginia Rail grooming itself


The top pic shows a Virginia Rail grooming itself, indicative of it's comfort with my presence. Well, more likely a result of my making like a rail and hiding behind a mullein . Certainly the mullein didn't hide me but it cut my profile enough that along with my standing quite still made me sufficiently non-obvious that this bird engaged in grooming not once but several times within 40-50 feet from me.

The rail is grooming under it's right wing, it's head turned upside down. This pic shows off the reddish bill of adult Virginia Rails. The redddish feet also show. Also showing clearly is the whitish supra-loral stripe (whitish patch above eye).
SeEtta

Labels:

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory