SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Rattlesnakes up close & personal

I almost ran over this Western Prairie Rattlesnake as it was lying in the road at John Martin State Park. It's light tan/yellowish coloration was such good camouflage that I almost didn't see it in time so I swerved hard to miss it. When I returned to my car for my camera, one of my group found a second Western Prairie Rattlesnake in the grass nearby.These snakes are definitely colored to blend in with the prairie vegetation. This snake was about 3 1/2 feet long. They are found throughout much of Colorado and I have run into them in about 5-6 counties. SeEtta

Labels:

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory