SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Late-ish Osprey and early-ish Am Dipper


I continue to see, and sometimes hear the thin cry, of a latish Osprey. Most Osprey leave the state by the middle of October according to "Colorado Birds." However we have had a very mild fall, with the first snow not falling until today, so lots of northern species like waterfowl are just still moving in so I guess this Osprey hasn't had a big need to move south. Today it perched on a large cottonwood overlooking not only the Arkansas River but also Four Mile Creek which is a major tributary. That is where I took this pic.

And I first saw an American Dipper on 10-15 on the Arkansas River adjacent to the Canon City Riverwalk. I didn't see the dipper today but heard a little of it's very melodic song.

There has been a lot of fresh bear scat on the Riverwalk which I have seen on the 5 times I have walked there this past week.

Labels: ,

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory