SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Great Egrets fishing in wetlands

Yesterday I checked some wetlands in E. Fremont Co and found 2 Great Egrets, an uncommon migrant in this area. I think they are quite elegant with their long graceful necks. I enjoyed watching one of them fishing--they often stalk their prey, standing very still then rapidly jabbing into the water. Though they primarily eat fish, they also consume invertebrates--per Birds of North Americaonline, "particularly crustaceans, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and small mammals."Great Egrets are easily flushed so I had to be quite careful in order to get these pics. As soon as I tried to put up my tripod so I could get better pics, the bird flushed.I was happy I was able to get the top pic that shows the head with the beautiful green lores and eye-ring that show up quite well. That really sets off their yellow iris'. Their long wings show well in the middle pic and the extreme neck-curve during flight is shown in the bottom pic. SeEtta

Labels:

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory