SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Birding in John Martin State Park area

After birding the Lamar Woods yesterday morning, I drove to the John Martin State Park. In the vicinity of the east boating ramp on the north side of the reservoir I found 2 families of Canyon Wrens, both with one adult and 2 immatures. They were singing, calling and the immatures were exploring. When I mimiced their song, an immature came to a few feet from my car to check me out.

I saw a Greater Roadrunner nearby. There was also a Brown Thrasher singing in the area.

The south side of the reservoir is part of the John Martin State Wildlife Area where Least Terns and Piping Plovers, species on the Endangered Species List, nest. The sand was somewhat wet from recent rains so I didn't venture far for fear of getting stuck. I was delighted to see that the habitat is recovering nicely in the year since ATV's were restricted from the area.

On both the north and south sides of the reservoir I heard Scaled Quail. I saw Cassin's Sparrows that were still singing and skylarking. Abundant in the area were Northern Mockingbirds and Western Kingbirds.

A visit to the Lake Hasty campground below the dam netted a very protective pair of Red-eyed Vireos. They vigorously chased every bird that came near except the Turkey Vultures that nest nearby and entertain the campers by flying down to 30 or so feet above the ground.

I also scoped the Verhoef ponds that are a short ways east of John Martin. I could see a Snowy Egret very actively pursuing prey. In addition to common waterfowl, I could see several Black-necked Stilt and some Yellow-headed Blackbirds.

SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory