SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Monday, July 31, 2006

Finally, Greater Roadrunner pics from Cottonwood Canyon




Well, I haven't fixed all my computer hardware and software problems (I really need to get a new computer), but I have made some space on my hard drive so I can crop photos easier. So I am tackling the many photos I shot of the Greater Roadrunner that practically posed for me last week-end at Cottonwood Canyon in Baca County in far SE Colorado.

Just as a reminder, I shoot with a 12X digital camera then enlarge the photos. I stopped my car for this bird when it was about 40 feet away. For some reason I don't understand, it took an interest in my car or me, approaching eventually to within only a few feet of my car. I did open my door so I could take photos, always staying right next to my car so it could continue serving as a "blind" in order to reduce disturbing the bird (and not disturbing birds pays off--they are more inclined to stay put or even as in this case approach you so you can get better photos).

The first photo shows the roadrunner with its crest raised slightly. It is a good one for seeing the bird's characteristics including the long tail. The second photo shows the head area cropped so it can be seen in close-up view. I took this one when the bird was only a few feet from the front of my car (though on the passenger side so it was 8 or so feet from me).

Roadrunners make a unique whining/crying-like call. Check out more info about this species and listen to their call by clicking here

I will put up more photos tomorrow.
SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory