SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Good birding next to SE Colo in San Luis Valley

Although the focus of this blog is birding in SE Colorado, I think occasionally it is helpful to discuss birding opporunities in adjacent areas. I am currently in the San Luis Valley to do my Breeding Bird Atlas route, some other surveying and some recreational birding.

Two days ago I was delighted to find a flock of 80-90 Pinyon Jays. This is a species of concern and I don't often see such a good size flock. They were in a grove of cottonwood trees where I also saw an immature and a mature Great Horned Owl. The immature, actually a fledgling, appeared quite curious about me--a common behavior I find in fledgling owls.

SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory