SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Mourning Dove nestlings



While birding this morning on my friend's farm near Canon City, I flushed a Mourning Dove off a nest. Though I had birded this area a lot in the past few days, I was unaware that this nest was there. This photo shows one of the nestlings. Actually there was at least 1 more bird in the nest, but this nestling almost fledged due to my disturbance so quickly backed away, snapped a few photos and left.

Whenever I encounter birds on the nest I always try to think what my presence is doing--am I disturbing the birds, might my intrusion put them at risk. I believe all birders have the responsibility to reduce their impacts on birds, even common ones like Mourning Doves, with a special emphasis on avoiding risking the safety and success of nesting birds. The Code of the American Birding Association states, in part, "avoid stressing birds or exposing them to danger. . ."

Mourning Doves are really quite attractive and nestlings especially so.

SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory