SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Friday, October 27, 2006

Lower Arkansas River valley

I am off on a short birding trip and I drove down to Lamar. I am posting this from my motel room at the Blue Spruce Motel, which I have recommended before as a clean and reasonably priced motel located right nest to Lamar's best birding hotspot, the Lamar Woods. It is very convenient to have free wireless internet so you can access the internet from the comfort of your room like I am doing right now. And they are pet friendly, with a small charge for our 4 legged friends who travel with us (mine, Banjo and Chase are sleeping).

Back to birding--I stopped at Lake Hasty in John Martin State Park. There were 50-60 American White Pelicans on this small lake. Some of the pelicans were apparently enjoying a pre-bedtime flight as they were taking off, flying around and returning. There were also a few white-headed gulls flying around.

I drove back up to John Martin Res (just up the hill) where I enjoyed a gorgeous sunset. There were at least another 50 or so Am White Pelicans on the reservoir (and likely more too distant to see at dusk). I also saw 3 Great Horned Owls, all within a half mile of the headquarters.
SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory