SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Monday, November 20, 2006

Ladder-backed Woodpecker



Ladder-backed Woodpeckers (as in this enature.com photo) are usually considered a southwestern U.S. specialty but we do see them in much of SE Colorado. Though very uncommon in the Canon City area, they are seen here occasionally and I did see one today on the southwest side of town in the vicinity of Shadow Hills Golf Course. They have been seen in this area before. The area around the golf course has a lot of tree cholla.

While I was doing my surveys for the early winter waterbird count I saw my first Bald Eagle, an adult, of the season flying up the Arkansas River in Canon City. Then at the end of the day I saw an adult Bald Eagle flying back downriver towards the Pueblo State Wildlife Area where they generally roost. I suspect this may have been the same bird as this morning as it is early in season and few Bald Eagles are in yet.
SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory