SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Monday, January 08, 2007

Lamar



It's amazing-8 days since the snow stopped falling and look at what the town of Lamar looks like. They are still trying to dig out. The photo at the bottom is of the Blue Spruce Motel where many birders, including me, stay. It is only a few hundred feet to the Lamar Woods.

I tried to do some birding at local hotspots. I walked in to the Lamar Woods area using a path made by some younger folks. I heard then saw a Hairy Woodpecker, a large male. Dark-eyed Juncos flitted about and several Blue Jays called vigorously. I saw the Great Horned Owl in the middle photo. Though I searched for one of the Red-Bellied Woodpeckers that live here, I did not see one. I also missed the Carolina Wren or the Northern Cardinl that is often seen at this birding hotspot (I did hear that one has been seen at a feeder about a half mile away).

I was told that locals who have feeders are inundated with birds. One location had a Harris Sparrow and a Carolina Wren and a second location had another Harris Sparrow.

SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory