SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Nesting American Dippers



Yesterday I checked some areas in Western Fremont County where I have been monitoring breeding American Dippers. Though the Colorado Breeding Bird Atlas, which was published in 1998, didn't find occupied nests until May I believe they nest earlier than that--at least along the Arkansas River west of Canon City.

My first stop was the Texas Creek bridge. I found a pair of American Dippers that sang some and clearly (by the amount of droppings on the rocks by the bridge) had been spending a lot of time near that bridge. Though I couldn't locate a nest under it, it is quite possible there is one being built there as it is impossible to see under most of this bridge.

I drove further upstream and checked the Valle Bridge. That is where I found the nest and the American Dipper in these photos. It appears complete though I wouldn't venture to say if there was any further interior work remaining.

SeEtta

Labels: ,

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory