SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Great Horned Owl on nest



I found this Great Horned Owl sitting on her nest in the Pueblo area today. I know it was a female as only the female incubates the eggs. Though her nest was in a large cottonwood directly above a paved trail, it was about 60 feet up. The nest was fairly visible, though I did miss it when I first walked by. However, the mother owl was only visible from one side and then only from a distance of 50-60 feet from the tree.
I took these photos from about 100-125 feet from the tree. These are both the same photo, I just cropped the lower one more than I did the upper photo. I included both because I think it gives an understanding of how well camouflaged this owl's nest was by seeing the upper photo. The best views can be had by double-clicking on the lower photo.

Labels: ,

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory