SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Friday, May 12, 2006

More Canon City birding

My day started off quite productively when I spotted 2 Green Herons flying down the Arkansas River near the west end of the Canon City Riverwalk. There have been at least 2 Green Heron for a number of years in this area.

I stopped out at Brush Hollow Res, but that was a wasted trip as there were many fishermen around the shore, with several boats with motors and other floating craft in the water. I did spot about 5 aechmophorus grebes, likely the 5 Western Grebes that have been in the area for several weeks.

I walked the east mile of the Canon City Riverwalk where I heard many Common Yellowthroats singing "witchity, witchity, witchity" and almost as many Yellow Warblers. I saw at least 3 male Bullock's Orioles. An Eastern Kingbird made it's burry call. And two Black-headed Grosbeak sang on and on and on.

The most unusual bird today was what I believe to be a second year Black-crowned Night-Heron on some private property. The bird was brown, but without the spotting of first year birds. I need to do some editing (as the bird was several hundred feet away and quite shy) so will try to post it tomorrow for feedback.

SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory