SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Unique find-a badger



Early this evening, a little before dusk, I was driving the route I took 2 weeks ago when I heard the Long-eared Owl calling. I was surprised to see a badger in daylight as they are reputed to be mostly nocturnal. Actually, I have seen badgers in the wild on 2 prior occasions, one at night and the other in broad daylight (though at a distance).

Though they have really nasty claws, badgers either run away or, as I have read, dig a hole to bury themselves. This one took off running on its short legs, but stopped to look back at me when I got this photo. The badger was about 60-70 feet away when I took the photo with my Panasonic digital camera with its 12X zoom fully extended.

I find that birding can provide great opportunities to watch other wildlife including mammals. I got other good photos of birds, but will have to wait until tomorrow.

SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory