SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Monday, February 19, 2007

Better photo of American Dipper


That photo of the American Dipper I took yesterday that I uploaded last night was pretty grainy. Partially that is due to low light as the bird was in the shadows but also because I just got Adobe Photoshop Elements yesterday and I am still learning how to edit with it.

I was back at my friend's place today and the dippers were quite active. I took this photo of an American Dipper, though actually a little further away than yesterday's, today's had better light. But be sure to double-click the photo to enlarge the bird for better viewing.

I watched a female (smaller than male) engage in courtship behavior--crouching down and fluttering her wings like a fledgling. Though I watched carefully for several minutes, I never saw the male feed her as I have read occurs with this behavior. Then I saw a third dipper, presumably an interloper trying to steal the female away. The first male then engaged in chasing the second male down the river. The female remained where she had been for about 5 minutes until a male came back to her.

SeEtta

Labels: ,

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory