SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Monday, July 30, 2007

Another cool dragonfly-a Western Meadowhawk

Boy, this seems to be a great time for seeing dragonflies, at least for me. I found this neat dragonfly on a shrub in my backyard in Canon City this morning. I feel pretty sure (given that I am a novice) that I have it's identification correct--a female Western Meadowhawk (it's even got a cool name). It's latin name is Sympetrum semicinctum fasciatum (uh, I like Meadowhawk better and I found a different latin name for this species). Fortunately these pics are almost as good as the photos I took.Strangely (given all the resources on the internet) I couldn't find much about this species. I did find that males have reddish bodies (I don't know their parts well enough to be more specific) while the females like this one are yellowish.
SeEtta

Labels:

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory