SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Saturday, August 11, 2007


I've spent some more time with the Virginia Rails in the private wetlands that I have been following. These pics show off the flight feathers as the bird stretches. I saw the hatchling Virginia Rails more and can say with some certainty that there are at least 4 black downy hatchlings. This time I was able to discern that their bills had a pinkish tint and a black band around them. However, I was unable to get reasonable pics as they scurried (like in run fast on short legs) across any openings in the vegetation.

It is also interesting that the rail felt comfortable enough to engage in grooming, which it did for about 10 minutes, while I stood on the bank about 50 feet away. I stood very still for a long time before this rail began grooming. I heard the Virginia Rails engage in contact calling between each other and heard the Sora's call from time to time.
SeEtta

Labels: ,

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory