SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Otero County breeding birds

After attending the Colorado Water Conservation Board meeting in Rocky Ford until 4:30, I got to do some birding in the area. Actually I was able to step out of the meeting to watch some of the Mississippi Kites that nest in Rocky Ford. In fact, they have often nested right in the small city park that is adjacent to the building where my meeting was held. I didn't find any nests, but I see 5-6 birds soaring around town and two birds breeding in a tree nearby. I got some good pics but didn't get home until late so will have to upload and edit them tomorrow then will post.

On the south side of Rocky Ford I heard several Inca Doves calling then saw 2 of them. Inca Doves have bred in Rocky Ford for many years (I remember going down to see them the first time 7-8 years ago).

I next drove to the Rocky Ford State Wildlife Area just north of town. I hadn't been birding there in some time. A Yellow-crowned Night-Heron had been seen there a week or so ago but I didn't see it. I did see a Green Heron. Black-headed Grosbeaks were singing vociferously as were Yellow Warblers.

My last stop was Lake Holbrook as the sun was starting to set. I was astounded to see 50-60 Black Terns flying low over the reservoir in an apparent feeding frenzy. And I saw more breeding behavior. Several American Avocets were chasing an apparent female avocet, and trying to hop on her back. As "she" was apparently not receptive, they ended up hopping over her like frogs--all the while calling madly. However two other American Avocets were apparently paired up, engaging in some bowing and other breeding-related behaviors. I got to watch them breed, a rather short-lasting event.

Other birds in and around Lake Holbrook included a White-faced Ibis, a Black-necked Stilt, several Eared Grebes, 1 male Wood Duck and a number of common waterfowl. There were many more birds on the far side of the lake but it was too dark to identify those at a distance.

I did make a late drive around looking for Short-eared Owls, but didn't find any tonight.

SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory