SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Sunday, October 29, 2006

A lot of hawks

From Lamar to the Oklahoma boarder I saw 5 Red-tailed, 2 Ferruginous and 2 unidentified (sitting with sun behind them as I drove by)in this 80 mile stretch, a pretty good hawk/mile ratio.

Though this blog deals with southeast Colorado, I have to report a drive I took just a short distance from Colorado. I drove 19 miles south of Colo to Boise City, Oklahoma. Then I turned east on US64 to Guymon, Oklahoma. In that 60 mile drive I saw 4 light Ferruginous Hawks (3 imm and 1 ad), 2 Red-tailed Hawks and 3 unidentified hawks (too distant)--that's an even better hawk/mile ratio. I believe many of these (and those above) hawks were migrating. This particular stretch of highway has a good deal of what appeared to be native gras/mile frequency. sland.

I also had a male Ring-necked Pheasant fly across the road in front of my car, causing me to slow to avoid hitting it.
SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory