SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Canon City deep freeze

Well, we got down to 2 degrees last night in Canon City but after the snow stopped this afternoon the temps rose to about 20!. We got another 4" of snow but now the cloud cover is gone and the temps are forecast to drop to minus 8 tonight. I got my bird bath heater out today to keep some water open for birds around my yard. Though I hadn't been feeding, I started putting out seed this week to help with the extremes of deep snow and serious cold temps.

I tried to load a photo some oversized icicles created where there are continuing seeps from a cliff area over the Arkansas River but blogspot is giving me the blues.



So I uploaded these pics of a female red-shafted Northern Flicker I took today. Though common and widespread, Northern Flickers are quite attractive birds which is evident in the close up on the bottom pic.
SeEtta

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory