SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Monday, April 09, 2007

Far SE Colo trip & bighorn sheep in canyonlands



I haven't posted as I took a few days to bird in the lower Arkansas River valley & far SE Colo. Though I stayed at my favorite motel, the Blue Spruce in Lamar, and it has wireless, I had some problems with software conflicts on my laptop. I am back home in Canon City now.

Yesterday I drove down to Carrizo and Cottonwood Canyons, both near the New Mexico border. They provide abrupt changes of scenery from the surrounding gently rolling hills of prairie down into these oases with cottonwood galleries and ponds. Cottonwood Canyon has bighorn sheep, the offspring of those transplanted there by the Colorado Division of Wildlife many years ago

The whole herd is shown in the top photo--check out the large spiral horns on that likely dominate male & his little tail standing straight up. The bighorn sheep in the lower photo has a broken horn and I think she might be pregnant (though this photo doesn't show it well, others at a different angle show a bulging stomach). Double-click on the pics to enlarge them to see details.
SeEtta

Labels: ,

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory