SE Colorado Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. Southeast Colorado offers a diversity of habitats which provide premiere birding opportunities. Save Sabal Palm

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Lewis's Woodpecker on Final Christmas Bird Count


Yesterday I participated in the last SE Colo Christmas Bird Count, this one in the Colorado City/Lake Beckwith area southwest of Pueblo. It was windy when we began but the winds increased to almost 70 mph in the area, making it not only difficult to find birds but sometimes to even stand up.

I spotted this Lewis's Woodpecker clinging to a snag, and on the downwind side of the snag. I didn't want to get closer than the 75 or so feet I was from the bird since I didn't want to flush it with the strong wind gusts beginning. So I can't enlarge it any further. SeEtta

Labels:

|
Save trees in the Boreal forest for birds, not for paper--Opt out of catalogues

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

  • Blogarama - The Blog Directory